I like to do things by myself. I like to open doors, put on my own shirt, turn on and off lights, stir my chocolate milk, walk up and down stairs, really the list could go on and on. One of my favorite phrases is, "Eli do it." And I'll continue to say it louder until you let me do it myself.
A couple of weeks ago, Mom and I ran to the grocery store after she picked me up from school. I love grocery shopping, especially at the Merc, because it has a little cart just my size that I can push around the store. I'd never had any major meltdowns while shopping. I'm fairly easy to distract with various things and people in the store. But, remember how I told you I like to open doors by myself? Imagine my surprise when I went to open the door to the grocery store...and it opened all by itself (Mom calls it automatic). Well, I stood at that front entrance and yelled, "Eli do it! Eli do it! Eli do it!" But it wouldn't let me. So, I got on the ground and screamed, "Eli do it! Eli do it! Eli do it!" And it still wouldn't let me. Mom was trying her very best to calm me, but I was already gone. It had happened. My first major public meltdown. (I'm sure there have been others, but none seemed to have stressed out Mom quite as much as this one.)
Much to my dismay, my mother scooped me up and carried me right back out that crazy door. She even strapped me BACK in my carseat. And then she waited. I'm not even sure she said anything to me while I screamed and wailed. When I finally stopped crying, Mom told me that she doesn't go to the grocery store with little boys who are throwing fits. She gave me two choices: home or calmly going back into the store. I, of course, chose the store. And boy was I glad I did, because it was the day Mama told me about the Magic Door. These are doors that open without even a touch! Who knew?! We stood and watched as people came in and out of the store, and the door would magically open. Turns out, if you really stop and think about it, that may even be cooler than opening it all by myself! Hey, think we could install one at home? ;)
-Mr. Independent
That is the best story EVER. :)
ReplyDeleteOh Eli, I love love love this story, especially because a) my mother tells me at least once a month that my first phrase was "I do it myself" and b) because your Mama handled a stressful situation like a champ! I know it wasn't fun at the time, but I promise that years from now you'll be GLAD that your Mama wasn't one of those parents who gave their kids a crapload of goodies to stop their public meltdowns! :)
ReplyDelete